Pages

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Cartographer

Sweet Discovery Store globe.
A lot of you might know about my personal project Hayling, and might even be following the blog I have set up to log my progress. I announced it in late 2009 and I've been slowly putting it together since then, and it's only recently started to kick into high gear.

Anyway, before I had Hayling, there was another project floating around in my mind about a year prior in 2008, something I titled Cartographer. I had all sorts of ideas floating around for that, but it wasn't until recently that they started to congeal. One night I went to sleep and as I lay there, the pieces simply started to fit together.

I've had an unfinished painting for it sitting on my hard drive for over 2 years now, and although it might be a while before I can pursue the story, it's the only painting I've left incomplete that's actually bothered me. To me it feels like it needs to be completed, it almost has an emotional resonance with me.

Anyway, where Hayling is more of a localized sci-fi thriller, Cartographer is an outer space epic. Two completely different ends of the sci-fi spectrum and I've gotta say it excites me to have two different unique projects like that to work on. If I ever get frustrated or worn out on one, I've got the other.

I want to complete that painting soon, and it might end up getting done before I have even have a painting to show for Hayling. I guess it makes sense, it was here first...

No comments: